I loved the combination of beets and goat cheese so much (as seen in my recipe here and in my last post here) that I had to try making it as a dip or spread a month ago. Yes, I said a month ago. I’m a little behind on my food posts. It appears I’m making food faster than I can blog about it. Teaching is keeping me a very busy bee indeed. 🙂
This delicious vegetarian dip makes an amazing appetizer served with crackers or veggie sticks or a fabulous spread for a sandwich or mixed with pasta or quinoa. Its purple-red colour is a beautiful addition to any party table (particularly the holiday season – that vibrant jewel tone is gorgeous and will undoubtedly get attention) and will definitely delight your guests. The best part is that it uses my favourite kitchen appliance: the food processor. It takes only minutes to make before you are able to enjoy it. (Almost) instant gratification!
Beet and Goat Cheese Spread
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup raw walnuts, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds
- 3/4 cup goat feta cheese (you can also use the soft kind – which I think I did when I made this)
- 3 organic beets, scrubbed and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh dill
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- fresh-squeezed lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt (depending on how salty your cheese is)
1. Pulse together nuts and seeds with olive oil in a food processor until mixture is crumbly and holds together when pressed.
2. Pour nut mixture out in a bowl and mix with goat cheese.