Even though it’s spring, if you live in Toronto you’re almost very well aware that it’s still consistently below freezing here and definitely soup weather. I must be on a cheese kick lately as my Vegan Mac and Cheese and accompanying Cheezonaise sauce can attest. This delicious and super quick soup is warm and satisfying, yet does not leave one feeling heavy and bloated like traditional dairy cream soups.
Not that I follow food trends, but cauliflower apparently is the new kale so why not try this delish cruciferous cousin to broccoli!
Cheezy Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- 1/2 head of cauliflower cut into florets
- 1-2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 4 cups vegetable stock (or water with Herbamare added)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp. tahini
- 1-2 tbsp. miso
- 1/4 cup Daiya cheddar cheese
- Optional: a few grates of fresh nutmeg
- Massage the cauliflower florets with coconut oil and roast in the oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 25-30 minutes until soft and starting to turn golden brown. You can do this the day before and store the cauliflower the next day.
- Saute the shallot over medium heat in coconut oil until softened and translucent.
- Add the cauliflower and saute for a few minutes more. Add the stock (or water + Herbamare), bring to a boil and simmer for about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and blend cauliflower mixture with an immersion blender. Return pot back to low heat and whisk in almond milk, nutritional yeast, tahini and miso. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls and sprinkle with Daiya cheddar and a few grates of nutmeg for garnish if desired.