I seriously love summer. The weather is warmer, the days are longer, and the produce is fresh and abundant. I have been so busy enjoying the beautiful weather, time with loved ones, long walks with Bodhi, deepening my yoga practice, planning a trip and just taking some much needed time for reflection and developing an intentional lifestyle. I’ve been trying to make self-care and meditation a habit that will continue once work starts again.
But back to summer produce. I literally wait in anticipation for fruit and berry season, especially for peaches. There seems to be a very brief window in the summertime when peaches are at their best and I think I found that window this week. The batch of organic peaches I bought were just perfect. Peaches are always on the EWG’s Dirty Dozen list so I always buy organic.
Unfortunately, since it’s been so hot in Toronto the last few days, the slight bumps and bruises on these peaches started to brown quickly and I knew they would go bad within a day. I figured instead of scarfing down 4 peaches in one sitting, I’d make a peach crisp.
Why you will love this:
- it’s naturally sweetened from the fruit (there’s only 2 tbsp. of additional coconut sugar!)
- the almond extract offers a layer of sophistication to this dessert
- you can have leftovers for breakfast the next day
- it’s versatile – you can pair it with other stone fruit or berries\
- it takes only 10 minutes to prep (45 minutes to bake – but set a timer and read a book while you wait!)
- you don’t need to peel the peaches or cut off the light bruises unless you want to (it’ll all get cooked down anyway)
I hope you enjoy it and comment below and let me know if you have any other ways you like to use fruit that’s gone a little past its prime!
Blueberry Peach Almond Crisp (serves 6-8 people)
For the filling:
- 4 organic peaches
- 1.5 cups frozen (or fresh) blueberries
- 1.5 tsp. organic almond extract
For the topping:
- 1 cup organic large flake oats
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp. coconut sugar
- 4 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
How to Make It:
- Wash and dry the peaches. Cut peaches in half, remove the pit and slice into sections about 1/2″ wide and place them in your casserole dish as you cut them. Do not worry about peeling them if they are organic. Make your life easier.
- Add your washed blueberries to your dish. Top with the almond extract and stir the fruit.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the dry topping ingredients. Then drizzle in the coconut oil and mix until combined.
- Crumble the topping over the fruit and bake in a preheated oven for 40-45 minutes until the top is browned and the fruit is bubbly.
- Let cool slightly before serving. Serve warm with vegan ice cream if desired. It also makes an amazing breakfast so don’t be shy to have leftovers the next morning with some Greek yogurt!