Beets are your liver’s friend. Because our livers work so hard to detox for us by removing harmful substances from our bodies and storing them, let’s pay them back once in a while. 🙂 For those of you who may cringe at the thought of eating a beet soup, I encourage you to try this one. All the vegetables are roasted, including the garlic, which softens and sweetens the flavours so that they marry well in this soup. If you buy beets, make sure they’re organic and get them with the tops, so you can juice them later.
I have briefly talked about some of the benefits beets here but that doesn’t even scratch the surface. They are high in antioxidants such as betaine, which encourages the liver to purge the stored toxins, but also contains the fiber pectin which helps to bind those toxins and remove them from the body. Betaine is also known to be anti-inflammatory, reducing the risk of heart disease and blood pressure, reduces stomach-acid production and reduces the risk of a variety of cancers particularly the liver, spleen, colon and lungs. Betaine is best preserved when juiced so try them in this True Love Juice recipe or check out this Beet and Goat Cheese Salad recipe for another way to get beets in your diet. Plus, I have another delicious beet recipe coming soon that I can’t wait to share with you too!
Oh, and remember to wear rubber gloves when handling and cutting the beets if you want to avoid having red hands for the next few days. 🙂
Detox Roasted Beet and Garlic Soup
- 3 organic medium beets (give ’em a good scrubbing to remove the dirt)
- coconut oil/olive oil for drizzling
- 6-8 unpeeled organic garlic cloves
- 1 medium yellow or red onion, cut in quarters
- 1 organic shallot, cut in quarters
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups water or organic veggie stock
- sea salt (I used pink Himalayan) and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- fresh thyme and goat cheese, for garnish
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly coat beets with coconut oil and roast in a glass baking dish or parchment-lined foil for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Meanwhile, coat the onions and shallot and garlic cloves with olive oil. Toss the onions in for the last 25 minutes of roasting and toss the garlic cloves and shallots for the last 10-15 minutes of roasting.
- Let beets cool then cut into large pieces. Squeeze garlic from their skins and dump all roasted veggies in a medium pot.
- Over medium heat, cook, stirring all the vegetables with the thyme and bay leaf for a few minutes then add 3 cups water or stock. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, 5-10 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Let cool slightly, then puree until smooth using an immersion blender. Stir in lemon juice and adjust seasoning to taste. Garnish with fresh thyme and goat feta.
- Enjoy and give thanks to your liver!