If you live in Toronto right now, you may be feeling the springter (spring + winter) blahs, thanks to this sudden bout of cold, wet, icy and snowy (!) weather. But I have good news! This smoothie might be just what you need to mentally transport yourself to a tropical island for escape.
Pineapple is well known for its bromelain enzymes which help to digest proteins more efficiently, reduces mucus (great for those with colds), is anti-inflammatory and is high in vitamin C and manganese. Not only is the scent intoxicating and mood-boosting, but the tryptophan contained in pineapple helps the body produce seratonin: the happy hormone!
Limes are a great source of vitamin C which is an important supplement to replenish when stressed, and their citrus scent is so energizing it can only help to lift you out of sluggish spirits.
Coconut is loaded with lots of good medium-chain triglyceride fats which are so loving to your brain, helping to improve your mood.
Chia is packed with fiber which helps keep blood sugar levels stable (as well as your mood!) and the good essential fatty acids (omega-3 and 6) are so important for brain health and help to combat depression.
So even if you can’t be lying on a warm beach right now, at least you can boost your mood by slurping this delicious smoothie! Maybe help the process by adorning it with a pretty cocktail umbrella and a pineapple wedge and slather yourself with some coconut butter. 🙂 Don’t worry, spring will be here before you know it!
Tropical Lovin’ Smoothie
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 1/2 cup diced fresh pineapple
- 1 ataulfo mango, diced
- half a banana
- zest of 1/2 lime
- juice of 1/2 lime (at room temperature – it yields more juice!)
- 1 scoop unflavoured or vanilla vegan protein powder
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 cup coconut milk (not from a can)
- 1 tbsp. unsulfured dried shredded coconut
- Throw all the ingredients except shredded coconut in a blender or whizz up with an immersion blender.
- Garnish with shredded coconut, lime zest and a pineapple slice.
- Drink up and give your body some tropical lovin’!