So yesterday was #NationalIceCreamDay and of course I had to celebrate. Luckily I already had some frozen bananas in my freezer (I always add them to smoothies), so I was in a perfect position to make banana “nice cream.”
Most people are probably aware of how frozen bananas can be magically whipped up into amazing soft serve, but in case you aren’t – they can! So you have no excuse not to try this since it only requires four ingredients and takes seconds to make! If you want to get very fundamental with this recipe, you could just whip up the bananas in your food processor or blender and call it a day.
If you follow me on Instagram, you know how much I love Luna and Larry’s Coconut Ice Cream. Their stuff is seriously amazing. And dangerously addictive. Especially their chocolate peanut butter flavour. But I’ll be honest. It’s darn expensive.
So I decided to try making it myself using a banana base and fall back on one of my favourite flavours from my Nutty Chocolate Monkey Smoothie. Banana, peanut butter and chocolate. You really can’t go wrong with any of those flavours in any combination (well, unless you have allergies, in which case please feel free to substitute another nut/seed butter of your choice).
If you decide to freeze leftovers, know that it will harden and not have the soft consistency of soft serve. You could re-blend it, or simply let it thaw slightly before scooping it out, or an even better option is to pour the leftovers in a popsicle mould. But honestly, I’d be surprised if there were any leftovers. They are that good.
I hope you enjoy this super delicious and simple recipe and let me know if you try it! See you next week!
Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream (makes 2 servings)
- 3-4 frozen bananas
- 2-3 tbsp. raw organic cacao
- 2-3 tbsp. organic crunchy or smooth peanut butter (can sub any nut butter you like here)
- 2 tbsp. vegan mini chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life)
- Place frozen bananas, cacao and peanut butter in a food processor or high-speed blender. You can reserve a tablespoon of peanut butter to swirl in after.
- Use the ice cream setting on your blender, or run food processor until bananas are whipped smooth.
- Spoon out into bowls (swirl in peanut butter here if you opted to do that) and serve immediately topped with the chocolate chips, or into another glass container to be frozen for later (if there’s any left!).