Are you currently on a spring detox and or have to avoid coffee? Fear not! I have a delicious solution to your coffee woes.
Personally, I was never a hardcore coffee drinker, but I always loved the smell and flavour of it in foods. No offense to Tim Horton’s, but it wasn’t until my trips to Europe in my early twenties when I fell in love with cappuccinos and dark rich coffee. They just know how to make coffee over there. But even now, I avoid drinking it regularly as I do notice the caffeine can make me jittery.
So what’s a girl to do? That was when I discovered Dandy Blend at a local trade show a few years ago and recently started preparing it with coconut oil which gives it this lovely thick foam. This drink is creamy, roasted and chocolatey and while it doesn’t taste exactly like coffee, it’s a great energizing alternative and doesn’t give you the jitters. In fact, instead of draining your adrenal glands (the organs that are responsible for our “fight or flight” response by releasing stress hormones like cortisol and epinephrine), it nourishes your liver and kidneys. The bonus? It tastes amazing and has health benefits too!
- Dandy Blend: roasted dandelion and chicory root tastes naturally sweet, helps support liver and kidney function
- Cinnamon: balances blood sugar levels (prevents insulin spikes)
- Raw Cacao: source of magnesium and antioxidants
- Raw Honey: an anti-bacterial immune system booster, can aid in managing seasonal allergies
- Raw Coconut Oil: anti-inflammatory, source of MCT (medium-chain triglycerides) which have been
- Maca: an energizing adaptogen and hormone-stabilizer (consult your health care practitioner before taking)
If you try this recipe and enjoy it, feel free to say “Thanks a latte” down below! 😉
See you next week!
Mocha “Coffee” Latte Alternative (serves 1)
- 1-2 cups filtered hot water
- splash of your choice of non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp. Dandy Blend
- 1 tbsp. raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp. organic cinnamon
- 1 tsp. raw honey
- 1/2 tsp. maca (feel free to omit this)
- Place the powders at the bottom of a high-speed blender.
- Add the non-dairy milk and hot water.
- Then add the honey and coconut oil. Blend at high speed until foamy (about 20 seconds).
- Pour immediately into your favourite mug and enjoy!