Last week I had just returned from a beautiful vacation in Miami on an early flight and was so exhausted I didn’t have a chance to finish up this post in time for last Sunday. So I’m posting this detox soup today with the promise of another recipe post tomorrow that’ll be worth the wait! After my trip to Miami, a detox was definitely in order, as it may also be for you after having indulged in Easter goodies this weekend.
Leaving Miami’s 30 degree weather and coming back to below zero temperatures in Toronto was tough to say the least. I thought travelling somewhere warm would help quell my desire for summer, but in fact it’s just made me more eager to feel the sun on my skin instead of through 4 layers of clothing. I mean, what was I thinking? Obviously I was going to miss this:
But I can feel that spring is on its way here in Toronto. 🙂 There’s definitely something in the air, and something optimistic about the sun shining for a little longer each day.
But back to the soup. Adding this soup to your recipe repertoire for spring certainly can’t hurt your detox. It’s vegan, gluten free and paleo, and most likely very friendly for any detox program you may be on right now. It’s clean whole organic food. But tastes pretty darn yummy.
Detox or not, this soup is a perfect way to get more veggies into your diet and is a great clean-out-the-fridge recipe as any green veggies you enjoy will work in this soup. As long as you have broccoli for the base, you’re good to go! Kale, zucchini, swiss chard, spinach, and even dandelion would be great additions (although dandelion is a great liver detoxifier, it’s very bitter, so if that’s not your cup of tea, I’d avoid adding it.)
I hope you are all enjoying a lovely Easter (if you celebrate) and time with your loved ones. This soup is a great way to get back on track with healthy eating after this weekend’s festivities. Stay tuned for another recipe tomorrow that’s a gluten-free way to satisfy your sweet tooth!
“All The Greens” Detox Soup (inspired by I Quit Sugar)
- 1 organic zucchini
- 3 ribs of organic celery
- 1 yellow organic onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small organic broccoli, broken into florets, and stems sliced (about 5-6 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro/parsley
- 2-3 green onions, sliced
- 2-3 cups green leafy veggies (kale, baby spinach, swiss chard work well)
- 1 L (4 cups) vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup organic coconut milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (Parmesan/cheddar), or use vegan cheeze or 2 tbsp. of nutritional yeast (this can be omitted)
- In a large pot, saute the onion and garlic in coconut oil until softened.
- Add the celery, zucchini, broccoli and saute a few minutes more. Add the stock. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to simmer for 12-15 minutes until vegetables have softened.
- Add the leafy vegetables. Cook for a few minutes more until softened. Add the cilantro and remove the pot from the heat.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup into a puree. Stir in the coconut milk. Serve garnished with your choice of cheese/nutritional yeast.