Lately, I’ve been looking for nutritious and quick meals that make good leftovers. Juggling my job of being a full-time teacher, part-time yoga teacher and wellness blogger has me seriously considering prepping meals that either require minimal babysitting (like my slow cooker meals) or minimal prep and cooking time (like these delish burgers). From start to finish these come together in less than 30 minutes, meaning you get to eat sooner (and who doesn’t want that?) They also make great leftovers and even freeze well for a couple of weeks.
These burgers are paleo and gluten-free (depending on the crumbs you choose) and are surprisingly not very fishy thanks to the lemon, Dijon and fresh herbs. If you’re a busy parent or career-person, you don’t have to sacrifice time for healthy food or buy the chemical-laden burgers found in the frozen section of the market. Simply make a bunch of these in advance, bake/pan fry them, freeze them and then reheat when you need. Easy as pie. Erm, I mean, burger. 🙂
Salmon is packed with nutrition being an excellent source of omega 3 fatty acids which help to reduce inflammation in the body as well as being an excellent source of protein. I didn’t buy the flaked salmon, so mine had some small bones in them, which I just mashed up with a fork. If you are serving this to small children, do consider purchasing the flaked variety. They are perfect served with sliced avocado, some hummus or pesto, on a burger bun or atop a salad like I did below.
If you try them I’d love to know what you think in the comments below! Stay tuned because I’m posting a special bonus recipe today that features a delicious vegan and gluten-free treat that you will not want to miss!
Dijon and Herb Salmon Burgers (makes 6 patties)
- 2 cans of wild sustainably-caught sockeye salmon (I used Raincoast Trading), drained and mashed
- 1-2 large green onions, finely sliced
- 1/2 organic celery, finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh herb, minced (cilantro, dill or parsley work really well here)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 organic, free-range eggs
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard, or grainy mustard of your choice
- 1 tsp. Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- juice of half a lemon
- 1/4 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs, coconut flour or quinoa flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a pan with parchment paper.
- Mix the salmon, green onion, fresh herbs and garlic in a medium bowl. Then beat in the eggs, mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper together and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in the breadcrumbs/flakes or flour.
- Form 6 patties on the parchment paper. Bake for 12 minutes until cooked through and slightly brown on the bottom. Flip the burgers at around the 12 minute mark and continue cooking for another 5-7 minutes until cooked.
- Serve on a salad, or prepare it for a burger and add avocado and your choice of fixings!