It’s Super Bowl weekend and while I don’t really follow football, I definitely can appreciate the food. So, I thought I’d share a quick and easy Super Bowl favourite to celebrate that’s a crowd pleaser: Nachos. It’s great as an appetizer, but even better for lunch (I should know, I had the ones below!)
I like to think of nachos as tacos deconstructed. All of the same yummy flavours are there but on chips instead of inside the shell. If you’re paleo or wanting to make this even healthier, you could serve all the toppings on a bed of lettuce with a few broken chips thrown in for a taco salad.
These are a little healthier than your average fare since there’s way more fresh veggies and none of that fake orange cheese-like product. I used organic unpasteurized cheese, but if you’re vegan just use your choice of Daiya shredded cheese.
Outside of the assembly and chopping, they only take 5 minutes in the oven so you can get back to the game, your friends, or to just eating them because you’re hangry and need something quick. 😉
Looking forward to sharing a sweet recipe you can enjoy for Valentine’s Day next week!
Vegetarian Loaded Southwestern Nachos (feeds 4-6 as apps or 2 hungry people)
- 5-6 large handfuls of organic corn tortilla chips (I used Que Pasa)
- 1 small can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 diced red or green pepper
- 1/2 cup organic frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup pitted olives sliced
- 1/2-1 cup organic shredded non-pasteurized cheese (I used L’Ancetre) or Daiya (for vegan nachos)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in quarters
- 1-2 avocados, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Lay some foil down on a baking sheet curling up the edges to prevent spills. Spread out the chips evenly to cover the sheet.
- Mix beans with pepper, corn and spices. Spoon bean mixture over the chips. Top with olives and grated cheddar. Bake for 5-6 minutes in the oven until the cheese is melted.
- Remove nachos from oven and top with tomatoes, avocados, cilantro and green onions. Serve immediately to awaiting fans.