- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large or 2 small organic onions, chopped
- 2-3 organic celery stalks (leaves are fine too), chopped
- 1 large organic carrot, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. organic dried thyme
- 4 cups (or more) vegetable broth or filtered water with 2 tsp. Herbamare added
- 1 3/4 cups dried whole lentils, rinsed, drained
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
- balsamic vinegar, for garnish
- salt and pepper, to taste
How to Make It:
- Toss all of the above ingredients in the slow cooker. Turn it on high to be finished cooking in about 4-5 hours or on low for 7-8 hours (yes, it’s that easy)!
- Using an immersion blender, pulse the mixture until desired consistency is reached. I like mine still chunky with some whole lentils and vegetables still visible.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish the mixture with a drizzle of good balsamic vinegar. Personally I feel this really adds a nice depth of flavour and I wouldn’t omit it.
- This freezes nicely, so once the soup has cooled slightly, ladle into glass leak proof containers and freeze to enjoy later when you have no time.