Do you have vegans coming over for brunch? Or maybe someone who is allergic to eggs? These “huevos rancheros sin huevos” inspired by Vegetarian Times will knock their (and your) socks off! I am an egg lover and I can certainly tell you that this delicious and nutritious recipe definitely satisfies and will make a tofu lover out of anyone.
While I know many people are skeptical about tofu and eating soy products, if you can tolerate soy occasionally and buy organic, non-GMO sprouted brands, tofu can be a great vegetarian source of protein. Its varied texture lends itself well to many different recipes from savory to sweet, and while I haven’t experimented with using tofu in desserts, I have experienced eating tau fu fa the Cantonese sweet silken tofu dessert growing up (being half-Chinese). If you are avoiding soy, you can definitely make this with 4-6 scrambled eggs. I omitted the salsa called for in the original recipe (since I didn’t have any) and added more veggies like mushrooms and tomatoes for more nutrition. The turmeric gives it a nice golden “egg-like” colour, while also providing antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
I hope you enjoy making this for your friends and family for brunch or any meal and find it “eggcellent” (or not “eggcellent”, since it’s egg free?) 🙂
Huevos Rancheros (sin huevos)
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- 1 block of sprouted organic firm/extra firm tofu (or sub 4-6 cooked scrambled eggs)
- 1 small onion or shallot, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pint of organic grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 small red pepper, sliced
- 3-4 large cremini mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. minced chilis or chili flake
- 1/2 cup organic cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. pink Himalayan salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: sliced avocado for garnish and/or gluten-free wrap
- Melt coconut oil over medium low heat in a large fry pan and saute mushrooms until browned, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the peppers, onions and garlic and saute about 5 minutes until softened and translucent.
- Crumble in the tofu to resemble pieces of “scrambled eggs”, stir in cumin, turmeric, salt and chilis. Fry for 5 minutes until warmed and combined.
- Take the pan off the heat and stir in the cilantro.
- Serve with slices of avocado, avocado toast, or place in a gluten-free wrap and top with avocado!