As the long weekend wraps up in Canada, many of us probably have full bellies from a BBQ or two which is why I opted to bring some fresh salads to my family’s gathering today. This salad is so easy to make and actually can be made ahead of time (in fact, it develops the flavours even more!) and is a great way to balance out the grilled food and meat.
The inspiration for this salad comes from one of Whole Foods’ many kale slaws in their salad bar. For this salad I’ve added orange juice and zest which gives it a natural sweetness that helps cut the bitterness of the kale, and the pumpkin seeds and hemp seeds add some protein, healthy fats and a nice crunchy texture. If you are put off by raw kale, I urge you to try this salad! It’s so nutrient dense and full of antioxidants but you won’t realize you’re detoxing your body because it tastes that good.
Beware if you are transporting this as the dressing will be beet coloured and you don’t want that spilling on your clothes, your car or anything else that’s important. I learned this the hard way, but luckily it only got on the car floor mat, which was easy to clean. Whew!
I also brought a quinoa salad too, but that’ll be saved for another post! 🙂
Have a healthy week!
Kale, Beet and Carrot Slaw with Orange Dressing (serves a crowd!)
- 1 head of organic curly kale
- 2-3 organic carrots, shredded
- 1 organic beet, shredded
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 cup organic apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 organic orange, zest and juice
- 1/4 tsp. Himalayan salt
- 1 tbsp. raw honey (only use if the orange isn’t sweet)
- 2 tbsp. hemp seeds
- 3 tbsp. pumpkin seeds
- Wash and dry kale well. Strip kale leaves from stems of kale and slice kale into thin strips. (Keep kale stems for juicing later)
- Mix together dressing ingredients (oil, vinegar, zest, orange juice, salt and honey).
- Mix together kale and carrots in a large bowl and add dressing. Massage kale and dressing together for a few minutes to soften kale slightly. Mix in beets after (otherwise your hands will be red) and refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours before serving.
- Before serving, sprinkle with hemp seeds and pumpkin seeds. Toss lightly and serve immediately.