This recipe was an act of serendipity: a delicious and very fortunate accident indeed. Dare I say “serendiplicious”? 🙂
On my first grocery trip after I came back from my trip to California in August, I had purchased a bunch of monster sized bananas that I knew would be way too much for one smoothie. So for that week, whenever I made a smoothie, I sliced the unused half and froze it to use for the next day. When I went to blend up my smoothie with the usual ingredients, my smoothie was too thick to be drinkable. In fact, I needed a spoon. And that’s when I realized I had made a high protein vegan sorbet.
So I simply spooned it out into a bowl, topped it with coconut, seeds and goji berries and had that for breakfast. IT. WAS. AMAZING. Ironically, I had a similar type of acai granola bowl from a local juice bar, Juice Kaboose, in La Jolla when I was down in California and it totally reminded me of it.
It’s a little too cold to eat this now for breakfast (seeing as the temperature is hovering around the freezing mark), but it would definitely make for a fabulous high protein sorbet with no refined sugar. For those folks in the Southern hemisphere where the weather is balmy (lucky you!), you can definitely enjoy this now. Easy and delicious.
Bumbleberry Protein Sorbet / Breakfast Bowl
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 1/2 large banana sliced and frozen
- 1/2 cup frozen organic blueberries
- 1/2 cup frozen organic strawberries
- 1/2 cup frozen organic raspberries
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 scoop of vanilla flavoured protein powder (I like Sunwarrior)
- spoon of raw honey or maple syrup if needed
Breakfast Bowl Topping suggestions:
- dried organic coconut
- chia seeds (or Ruth’s Chia Goodness)
- hemp seeds
- flax seeds
- bee pollen
- goji berries
- homemade granola
- pumpkin seeds / sunflower seeds
- cacao nibs
- Blend the sorbet ingredients with a blender or an immersion blender until smooth.
- Freeze in a separate container for later, or consume immediately.
- If making the breakfast bowl, spoon out into a bowl, top with superfoods and enjoy!