Yes, I’m a granola-eating girl and I’m not afraid to say it.
Actually, I avoided it for a while because I thought most were very carb heavy and loaded with sugar and felt (nutritionally speaking), that it was lacking in the protein department. But I don’t know why I didn’t put two and two together earlier. I mean, I have protein powder in my smoothies, and have even mixed them into other raw desserts and baked cookies, but it never occurred to me that I could bake it into granola. Sometimes the simplest things are right under your nose (and now in my belly).
This makes an amazing gluten-free and vegan snack on its own or topped with yogurt or almond milk for breakfast. Because it’s made with protein powder, it will fill you up much longer than traditional granola. All the more reason to enjoy it more often and experiment with the flavours: try chocolate-cherry, apricot-almond or any other combination of spices, fruits and nuts you enjoy!
Protein Packed Blueberry Cinnamon Walnut Granola
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2/3 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup dried shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup vanilla-flavoured vegan protein powder (I like Sunwarrior Protein)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup dried wild blueberries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix oats, walnuts and coconut together in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan, measure out almond butter and add coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon, salt and protein powder and heat over low heat stirring constantly until combined.
- Immediately drizzle over dried mixture and mix well to coat.
- Spread out mixture on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for about 40 minutes until dry, ensuring you stir the mixture at several intervals. Let cool and then add the dried blueberries.
- This will last up to two weeks in an airtight mason jar and eat as a snack or use as a topping on yogurt.