Hello everyone! I apologize for being MIA for the past few weeks, but I’ve been visiting family and exploring and savouring lovely California! From the beautiful sunny weather, beaches, farmer’s markets, and fresh produce it is definitely a place that promotes a healthy lifestyle. Don’t get me wrong, I noticed some Denny’s and IHOPs here and there, but they were few and far between the Trader Joe’s. 😉
Having worked and travelled abroad in other countries, I’ve learned to be prepared just in case! Here are some strategies to stay healthy while travelling that I’ve found helpful:
1. For healthy snacks on-the-go: Larabars, dried fruit and nuts, raw dark chocolate and hemp seeds for the plane or day trips.
2. For a healthy breakfast: Pack protein powder and mix with juice or a bought fruit smoothie, pack organic oatmeal (use the coffee maker in the hotel room to boil the water) and add nuts/dried fruit, or bring healthy nut butters to put on toast/fruit. Bring your own bagged green tea or tea of choice. My aunt had an organic orange tree in her backyard so I was lucky to have those every day!
3. For healthy hydration: Stainless steel water bottle. I find I get seriously dehydrated on flights and the tiny cups of water they give you just aren’t enough (and it’s horrible for the environment). Water is free and there are often fountains at many public places that you may be visiting (even airports). Granted, the water may not be safe to drink from the tap where you are travelling and you may have to rely on purchasing water, but even if you do, transferring it to a stainless steel water bottle is probably safer to carry around in the heat than plastic. If you are lucky enough to be in a tropical country that sells fresh coconuts, take advantage of that!
4. For restful sleep: Eyemask. It helps promote melatonin production by blocking out extra light which regulates sleep cycles whether using it on the plane or at your destination.
5. For a strong immune system: Greens powder. Some hardcore health enthusiasts bring a mini blender or their juicer while travelling. I like to travel light so I bring my greens powder with me and mix with water or juice to help alkalinize my body helping to ward off illness. I prefer the Amazing Grass brand but there are other good brands out there.
6. For a healthy belly: Probiotics. They maintain healthy gut flora helping to prevent susceptibility to traveller’s stomach upsets ranging from constipation to diarrhea.
7. For healthy eating out: Before you leave, research healthy restaurants to nosh at during your journey, grocery stores or farmer’s markets. Visiting farmer’s markets allow you to try fresh and local produce and are a great way to connect to the local culture and community of the place you’re visiting.
8. For a strong body: Combat muscle stiffness and poor circulation from flying by staying as active as you can during your trip. Also, as soon after flying as possible, try to walk around barefoot to “ground” yourself. It has been known to help with energy levels and sleep regulation.
With a little careful planning before your trip, taking care of your well-being while travelling will ensure you can enjoy every minute of it! Happy travels dear friends! 🙂
Do you have any tips for keeping well while travelling? I’d love to hear them! Feel free to comment below!