I loved pudding so much as a kid that I actually named one of my dolls after it. No joke. I was obsessed with the stuff. Of course as I grew older I realized that traditional pudding from the pack was mostly refined sugar and starches devoid of nutrition.
So I was absolutely thrilled when I stumbled upon a chocolate orange avocado pudding recipe from one of my favourite nutritionists, Joyous Health, and was inspired to write about it here with some other alternative pairings. I’m going to get right to it since it’s such a delicious recipe, but if you’re curious about the nutrition benefits (of which there are many!) you can refer to these recipes containing avocado and cacao.
Basic Chocolate Avocado Pudding
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 1 large avocado (or 2 small avocados), seeded and peeled
- 1 tbsp. raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp. organic vanilla powder
- cacao nibs, for garnish (if desired)
- Cut and remove pit from avocado.
- Stir in cacao powder and honey. For a smoother texture mix ingredients in a blender. If you are in need of a quick chocolate fix, simply mash up ingredients with a fork.
- Garnish with raw cacao nibs if desired.
- Dig in! (Yes, it really is that simple.)
This recipe is a perfect base for adding other flavours. If you want something a little more special, check out the other tasty variations below:
- Chocolate Orange Pudding – stir in grated orange rind from one organic orange and/or 1/2 tsp. organic orange extract
- Chocolate Mint Pudding – add 1/2 tsp. mint extract or whizz up a few mint leaves with the avocado mixture
- Chocolate Raspberry Pudding – add 1/4 cup frozen raspberries to the blender and add an extra tbsp. of honey
- Chocolate Banana Pudding – add 1/2 mashed banana
The possibilities are endless (and delicious). If you have any other suggestions for variations to this basic recipe I’d love to hear them below!